Gluten Free Fried Cheese!
Gluten free doesn’t always have to be healthy or boring! Sometimes you just want something bad- so go ahead be bad! This battering style can also be used on other foods such as fish, chicken, mushrooms, broccoli florets and more!
Cheese- I used smoked cheddar
Instant Potato Flakes (make sure they are GF!, I get them at Whole Foods)
Bobs Red Mill Gluten Free Pancake Mix
(+ingredients for mix as directed)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
Red pepper as desired
Any high smoke point oil that you desire like coconut or lard.
1. Prepare pancake batter per directions on bag, add seasonings and set aside.
2. Cube cheese into 1/2 inch by 1/2 inch pieces.
3. Spread potato flakes out into a shallow dish.
4. Heat oil to 350 degrees. (Using a fry basket works best!)
5. Dip the cheese blocks into the batter and then roll them in the potato flakes. Make sure they are totally covered with a nice thick layer.
6. Fry in oil for about 2 mins. Just until golden, don’t wait too long or they will burst and cheese will leak out everywhere!
I like to use a smoky BBQ sauce with fried cheese or you may prefer a ranch or blue cheese dip. Just look for a natural version free of gluten, MSG, artificial colors or favors. Better yet, make your own.