Okay so I love broccoli and cheese soup, it’s one of my favorites. But until recently, I had never attempted to cook it myself. A friend of mine told me that Emeril Lagasse had a good recipe and I should try it. So his recipe was my inspiration, I didn’t change it much but i omitted a few things and added a few while converting it to gluten free as well. You can view the original by clicking HERE.
5 tablespoons salted butter, plus 2 tablespoons cold salted butter
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground white pepper
3-4 cloves of minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon chopped dried thyme leaves
4 tablespoons gluten free all-purpose flour
4 cups homemade chicken bone broth
1 (16-ounce) package frozen broccoli, thawed and separated
1 lb of shredded cooked chicken- I like left over rotisserie for this…
3/4 cup heavy cream
2 cups shredded medium Cheddar
Some extra cheese for on top
Croutons if you want something crunchy which I do of course!
1. In a pot, melt the 5 tablespoons butter over medium heat.
2. Add the garlic, salt, pepper, nutmeg and thyme to the butter constantly stirring, for a couple minutes.
3. Wisk in the flour and cook, stirring until totally mixed.
4. Pour in the chicken stock, whisking, and bring to a boil.
5. Reduce the heat and simmer until thickened, about 5 minutes.
6. Add the room temperature broccoli and cook for 15 mins.
7. Remove from heat and pulse a few times with a hand-held immersion blender. I like mine chunky so I don’t completely purée it.
8. Add the cream stirring constantly.
9. Add the shredded chicken and reduce to low heat.
10. Add the cheese and left over butter and cook until melted.
11. Add desired amount to serving bowls and top with shredded cheddar cheese and croutons if desired! Enjoy!
** for gluten free croutons, cube any GF bread and toss in some olive oil and bake at 400 degrees for a few minutes until brown. **