Chicken Bones ( 3 chickens worth)
Bay Leaves 2
Peppercorns 1 tsp
Garlic Cloves 3
Apple Cider Vinegar 3 tbsp
5 quart sized mason jars.
**When you use vegetables like carrots, celery and onions, place the cut off ends that you don’t normally use in a bag and store in the freezer. Add to this bag until you cook broth and use them for this purpose. A full quart sized bag of veggie ends work well for this.
As we eat our chickens, I place the bones in a gallon sized bag in the freezer. When it’s time to make broth they are ready.
1. Place all of the ingredients into a crock pot and fill with water leaving only 1 inch from the top. Cook on low.
2. Cook for a minimum of 12 and a maximum of 18 and remove 3/4 quart of liquid straining and skimming any particles.
3. Refill crock pot with water and repeat step 2. (Repeat step 2 and 3 up to 5 days, making 5- 3/4 quart full jars of broth)
4. Cool broth in the jar for a couple of hours and place into refrigerator.
5. After the fat layer solidifies, break through and remove with a fork. I usually leave a small amount in mine. (If you don’t break the fat- your jar will burst in the freezer.)
6. Return lids and freeze!