No One Told Me…
Everyone that I encountered in the natural birth community told me about the wonderful experience child birth could be. You know… about the power within me, the rush of love hormones immediately after and the great sense of accomplishment that would come with delivering my own baby.
While all of those wonderful things turned out to be true, there were a few other “experiences” that went unmentioned.
No one told me:
1. That after the love hormones subsided, I would feel like a freight train hit me.
– I mean come on, that would’ve been use information! I could have prepared differently to aid the recovery process.
2. The painful swelling of my nether regions after birth.
– No one and I mean no one talks about this. And why would they? It’s horrifying especially if You end up with stitches like I did (19). But again, had I realized this, I could be invested in some site bath herbs or numbing spray ahead of time.
3. That my body would transform into something resembling a tube sock filled with lumpy sausage gravy.
-This one was unavoidable so even if I had known, I could not have prevented this. But no one told me nonetheless…
4. My libido would become non existent and the thought (let alone the act) of “relations” would cause such pain.
-This is a biggie. I only have 2 thoughts on the matter. Ouch & my poor patient husband, God Bless him.
5. That Breastfeeding may not be easy. Or that I would continue to have contractions every time I fed the baby.
-Set proper expectations people! I have actually written a whole post about my traumatizing Breastfeeding experience. You can read it by clicking here.
I know we should focus on the positives of every situation instead of the negatives. BUT! I feel that setting proper expectations are vital to an overall fulfilling experience and necessary for adequate preparation.
If you are a mother reading this- what did you find surprising after birth that NO ONE TOLD YOU?
Me at 37 weeks pregnant with Jackson