3-3.5 lb Grass-fed Boneless Rump Roast
1 qt of beef bone broth
3-4 large carrots
1 onion- if desired
7-8 small baby red potatoes
2 cloves of garlic crushed
2 bay leaves
1/2 cup all purpose GF flour
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees
2. Add lard or expeller pressed coconut oil to your cast iron dutch oven and heat on stovetop. Medium heat.
3. Salt and pepper your roast on all sides, use an ample amount as much will fall off and end up in the broth.
4. Roll the roast in GF all purpose flour.
5. Add roast to hot oil and sear until brown on all sides. This takes about 10 mins. Add the crushed garlic while doing this.
6. Add the qt of broth and bay leaves, & onion, fill to mostly cover roast adding water if needed.
7. Cover with lid and place in the oven on middle rack.
8. Cook for 4 hours, fork meat to test tenderness. If fork entered meat easily, go to next step. If NOT – cook another hour and test again.
9. Add carrots and potatoes and cook for another 1-2 hours. Check after 1 hour and test “fork tenderness”.
10. When tender remove from oven and serve!
This is an old school pot roast so feel free to remove the potatoes and whip with some cream, white cheddar and garlic as well!